The lesson to be learned in this adventure is NEVER RUN BACKSTAGE, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT IS DARK!!! (and especially when you are rounding corners)
I was in this show, How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying. It was really fun. Closing night, in the scene change before the last scene, I realized I had forgotten my tux jacket backstage right and I was backstage left. I ran around the back of the stage, back behind the set and such, to retrieve it before my entrance. I grabbed it, and put it on while running back around to backstage left. As I was about to round the corner from behind the starry night backdrop to backstage left I collided head-first (literally) with my good friend Skyler Hardman. We went flying backward and I put my hand to my face because it kinda hurt and I could feel it bleeding. I looked at my hand and saw a considerable amount of blood. Not a very pleasant thing to see right before you're supposed to go onstage. I ran up to the dressing room and looked in the mirror. Something had cut the right side of my upper lip in two pieces. yuck. It was not a comforting sight and I covered it back up quickly. Someone ran in quickly after me, I think it was Sarah Johnson (the amazingly talented girl who played Rosemary, my romantic opposite) she gave me some paper towels and made me hold them to the wound. (it could have been someone else, this is all kinda a blur to me right now.) I was holding my face and a myriad of people came in and out of the room. I remember Adrian Foster, Mr. Bradshaw, Jared Tuckett (?), and maybe someone else, I'm not 100% sure, like I said earlier, this is all kinda hazy to me. Mr. Bradshaw asked me where my parents were and I told him they were in the audience. He found them and Mr. Dudley quickly and they, along with Mrs. Foster, rushed into the dressing room (at this point Skyler was in there too, holding his eye) Mr. Dudley looked at what was wrong, and now that I think of it, he must have come in there before my parents were there because he told them before they came in what was wrong with me. They thought it was a heart problem of some kind due to my history of heart issues. I was rushed to the E.R. in payson and was taken care of there. After a while I got my anesthetic and Dr.Jones (my friend Jenny's dad) gave me stitches. Skyler was there at the same time, he got stitches in his eyebrow. We're not entirely sure what happened to my lip, but the doctor was pretty sure that Skyler's gash was the result of his glasses cutting into his eyebrow. By midnight I was out and on my way home. What an exciting way to end the run of such an amazing show!
I'm extremely grateful for doctors, and especially anesthetics! I do not recommend this type of injury to ANYONE!!! It hurts. :) But I'm doing great and this will be an amazing story to tell for years to come! :) :) :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment